jrbarker

JRBarker101

I blog about my upcoming releases, all sorts of other books, and other bits of fluff from my mind. I also have a passion for wildlife and the environment. Every now and then I also share poems and stories.

The Long War
Stephen Baxter, Terry Pratchett

The Long Earth Terry Pratchett's first sci-fi

a

I'm an avid reader of Terry Pratchett's books, and I do love a bit of sci-fi, so I was intrigued when I heard that Terry Pratchett was going to start writing sci-fi.

I wasn't blown away by this book, not in a sense that it wasn't brilliant, because I did absolutely love it, just that it was an incredibly gently paced story.

It took its time and matured like a fine wine or cheese. As a result it was actually a very relaxing read.

It started off in a bit of a disjointed fashion, depicting scenarios and snippets of information from certain walks of life, which gradually gelled together to create a more detailed image of what the world might be like if there suddenly endless earths.

I found it to be extremely readable and (without giving too much away) refreshing to have an ever present evil that turned out not to be evil at all. Merely misguided.

Needless to say I can't wait for the next instalment.